The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913

By Georgie Kulczyk
The Courier 

HS Ice Dawgs Split Two Games Against Havre

Gearing up for State Tournament


Georgie Kulczyk/The Courier

Bridger Barnett (r) goes for the puck during one of the Ice Dawgs' home games this season.

The High School Ice Dawgs traveled to Havre for two games on Feb. 25. The Ice Dawgs claimed a 2-1 win against the Ice Hawks in the first game with bookend goals in the first and second periods.

Just two minutes into the game, Casey Mattfeldt was sent to the penalty box for tripping. No harm, no foul, however, as Havre was unable to take advantage of the power play.

Nearly seven minutes into the game, Garrett Lloyd lit up the scoreboard for the first time with the assist going to Noah Lipszyc.

The only notable action in the first period for Havre was a penalty on Clifford Lenhardt for roughing. Remember that name, it will come up again.

In the second period, Havre knotted things up when they scored three minutes into the period.

Glasgow answered immediately with a goal by Taylor Padden, assisted by Lloyd, bringing them back into the lead.

The Ice Hawks served one penalty in the second period for slashing.

The final period of the game did not produce a change in the score, and the contest ended with Glasgow on top 2-1. Each team served a two minute penalty for roughing, with Taylor Padden earning the infraction for the Ice Dawgs.

In the net, Colton Pewitt recorded 59 saves.

In their second match-up of the day, the Ice Hawks were determined to make a statement and things got a little chippy.

For Glasgow, Padden started things off with an unassisted goal 1:40 into the game. Havre was able to respond and tie things up when they scored halfway through the period. Britt Fairclough added another point for the Ice Dawgs late in the period with the assist going to Bridger Barnett. The Ice Hawks' Lenhardt was called for holding and sent to the box while Glasgow celebrated their goal.

Havre exploded offensively in the second period with three consecutive goals to take the 4-2 lead, while the Ice Dawgs were unable to find the back of the net.

Trevor Johnson earned a two-minute penalty for high-sticking just two minutes into the period, then things went haywire.

Halfway through the final period, Ethan Hartsock and Lenhardt earned simultaneous penalties with Hartsock picking up a two-and-ten minute penalty for checking from behind and Lenhardt sitting two minutes for roughing.

As soon as Lenhardt returned to the ice, he was back into trouble, earning a major five-minute penalty and a ten minute game misconduct penalty for fighting. In the mix for Glasgow was Taylor Johnson, who earned a two-minute penalty for roughing.

For his behavior, Lenhardt ultimately was ejected from the game and his team continued on without him.

Following a minor penalty for Havre, Colton Pewitt was called for tripping, and Marshall Bragg for cross-checking. The period came to an end without any further incidents.

With Lenhardt off the ice, the third period was relatively uneventful. While Glasgow was able to boost their score with an unassisted goal from Johnson, they were unable to overcome the deficit to win the game and Havre prevailed 4-3. Both teams earned two minor penalties in the last period, with Lipszyc called for slashing and Shane Sinclair called for tripping.

In the net, Mattfeldt finished with 45 saves.

The High School Ice Dawgs will be competing in their state tournament March 3-5 in Havre.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 12/10/2019 13:41