The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913


For The Courier 

Fireworks Safety Reminders

 


From DNRC

The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) and firefighters across Montana want to help you celebrate Independence Day with wildfire safety in mind. As we draw near the Fourth of July, many of us celebrate with family and friends by enjoying campfires, barbecues and firework displays. While these activities encourage fun times and great memories, it is important to understand they may also pose serious threats and risks.

The tip of a sparkler burns at a temperature of more than 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, which can easily ignite dry vegetation. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display sponsored by your local community.

Here are a few additional tips for taking the fire out of fireworks:

Remember that fireworks are prohibited on all state and federal lands.

You are responsible for the suppression costs and property damage of any fire you start.

HOT weather is forecasted. Grasses will dry quickly increasing the potential for a fire to spread rapidly if ignited.

Never leave children unsupervised around any type of fire.

Avoid starting any type of fire when conditions are dry or windy.

Light fireworks one at a time, and after doing so, move away quickly.

After fireworks are done burning, douse them with water before placing in the trash.

Observe fireworks restrictions.

We can all make a difference in reducing human-caused fires this season. Please be “Fire Smart” and do your part to prevent wildfires.

If you have further questions regarding fireworks, please call your local Fire Department or Montana DNRC at 406-542-4251.

From BLM:

Recent hot, dry weather in many locations has resulted in increased fire danger. 

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) asks you to follow a few simple rules in order to safely enjoy the Independence Day holiday weekend.

The use and possession of fireworks, exploding targets and luminaries with open flame are prohibited on lands administered by the BLM and other federal agencies.

If you build a campfire or use a charcoal grill, remember to put it completely out after use. Avoid driving or riding through tall, dry grass, as hot exhaust systems and tailpipes can easily start a fire.  Please check that the spark arrestor on chainsaws and other equipment is attached and working before use.

Remember, One Less Spark means One Less Wildlfire.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018