The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913

By Georgie Kulczyk
The Courier 

Reds Split Double Header vs. Sidney, Drop Two to Laurel


Georgie Kulczyk/The Courier

John Cremer (left) runs in from left field to back up Cade Myrick (right) as he records an out during a game against the Sidney Patriots. The game was held at Sullivan Park June 20, and the Reds split the double header against the visiting team.

The Glasgow Reds were all warmed up from a four-day tournament in Lewistown over the weekend when they faced the Sidney Patriots in a pair of home games June 20. Then, they traveled to Laurel June 21, for a second double-header.

Glasgow 7, Sidney 6

Both teams were offensively strong in the first game, with each collecting 12 hits. Brett Glaser, Cade Myrick, Kaden Fossum, John Cremer, and Darrin Wersal each collected multiple hits. Wersal, Cremer, Fossum, Myrick, and Glaser each collected two hits to lead Reds.

The teams also matched each other in errors as both recorded two critical errors in the game.

In their first at-bat of the contest, the Patriots kept Cremer busy out in left field as they sent three singles his way. After allowing two runs in, the Reds were able to shut down the half-inning and take their turn at the plate.

Fossum, the Reds' lead-off hitter, reached first when he hit a single to second base and would eventually score a run off a single by Myrick.

The Patriots recorded two consecutive outs to close the first inning and maintain the lead 2-1.

Sidney's first batter of the second inning reached first on a dropped third strike. Following a strikeout, the Patriots loaded the bases with two singles, and another pair of singles by the visiting team brought in three runs.

Despite singles from Wersal and Cremer in the Reds' turn at bat, no runs were scored by the end of the inning.

Glasgow closed the gap in the score in the remaining innings, adding six more runs of their own and allowing only one run for the Patriots. Myrick had a key play in the third when he recorded a double out to center field, then made it home when Kevin McDonald singled just before Sidney recorded the final out of the inning.

The fourth inning was scoreless as both teams played some solid defense. The Reds continued the strong defense into the fifth inning, allowing just one hit before shutting down the Patriots at the plate.

Bryce Legare started things off for the Reds at the plate with a double to get on base, followed by a double by Glaser that allowed Legare to score. A single by Wersal scored Glaser before Sidney shut down Glasgow's bats.

The Reds took it down to the wire, claiming victory over the Patriots with three runs scored late in the final inning. Cremer reached first on a walk and Fossum singled to join him on the bases, then Cremer scored on a sacrifice fly from Legare.

Glasgow was facing two outs on the scoreboard and a possible loss to the Patriots when Myrick stepped up to bat. He hit a ground ball and reached first on a Patriots error. Following Myrick, Glaser hit a single that brought in both Fossum and Myrick to secure the lead for Glasgow.

Sidney was finally able to close the inning and had an opportunity to reclaim the game.

On the mound for Glasgow, Fossum allowed two Patriots on base and struck out two. Head Coach Jack Sprague reacted to a walk of the potential game-winning runner by bringing in Myrick to relieve Fossum. Myrick recorded the last out of the game to earn the save for Reds.

Taylor Johnson started the game on the mound for the Reds. He went five innings, surrendering five runs, ten hits, striking out five, and walking one. Fossum earned the win for Reds in one and two-thirds innings, allowing one run, two hits, and striking out three.

Sidney 7, Glasgow 1

The Reds dropped their second game against the Patriots, scoring just one run to their opponent's six. Neither team was able to score for most of the game, but Sidney had a big fifth inning, bringing in five runs. They scored another run in the top of the seventh, while Glasgow was only able to score one run late in the game.

The Patriots' big scoring run in the fifth began with a walk, a single scored on an error, and another walk. Four more runs were brought in off a fielder's choice, a double, a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly.

Boosted by their huge offensive run, the Patriots made quick work of denying the Reds any progression. Wersal did make it to first base on a walk, but Sidney followed that up with a strikeout and a double play that closed the inning.

Nik Herman took the mound in the top of the sixth inning and had a good showing, allowing just one hit and striking out two, but Sidney shut down the Reds easily with three consecutive outs to close the inning.

In the seventh inning, the Patriots and the Reds traded runs, scoring one each. Glaser earned an RBI late in the game when he tripled to right field and brought Myrick in to score the lone run for the Reds.

Glaser took the loss on the mound for the Reds. He pitched four and a third innings, giving up two runs, three hits, and striking out five. Chase Guttenberg relieved Glaser to finish the fifth inning, and Herman pitched the sixth.

The following day, the Reds were in Laurel for a double header, and dropped both games to the top team in the conference.

Laurel 20, Glasgow 10

In their first game against the Dodgers, the Reds successfully battled through most of the contest, but lost their grip in the fifth and sixth innings. With the game tied at ten after the fourth, Glasgow blanked in both remaining innings. Laurel, however, continued to score runs and pulled away with the final score reaching 20-10. While the Reds had a respectable showing at the plate with 11 hits, the Dodgers also hit into double digits with 17.

Wersal drove in the first run for Glasgow when he walked with the bases loaded. Laurel scored one run to knot things up before the inning came to a close.

In the second inning, after two Reds were walked, Myrick hit a double to bring in Cole, followed by an RBI for Glaser when he singled to allow Legare to score. In his turn at bat, McDonald hit a double to bring in both Myrick and Glaser.

Although the Reds continued their offensive run with a walk and a single, the Dodgers were finally able to stop the streak and brought the half-inning to a close without allowing another run.

In their turn at bat, the Dodgers slowly creeped up and eventually passed the Reds with a pair of walks, a pair of doubles and a single. Going into the third inning, Laurel had a one-run lead of 6-5.

The Reds were unable to make and progress in the top of the third, despite a Dodger error and a walk that placed some Glasgow runners on base.

Laurel had another successful turn at the plate when they scored four more runs to secure a 10-5 lead. It was a tough half-inning for Glasgow as the Reds walked three and recorded an error.

The biggest inning for the Reds was the fourth with a single and two doubles, as well as a Dodger error, that earned Glasgow five runs. Wersal started the rally off with a double to left field, Johnson reached first on an error by Laurel's shortstop, then Guttenberg reached first on another error by the shortstop.

Fossum hit a double in his turn at the plate, bringing in two runs, followed by an RBI-single by Legare and an RBI-double by Myrick.

By the time the Dodgers were able to record the third out, the Reds had knotted things up 10-10.

Glasgow was also effective in the remainder of the inning, finishing things off with three quick outs and denying the Dodgers any runs.

In the top of the fifth, however, Glasgow found themselves in the same boat, as Laurel recorded three quick outs and the Reds failed to bring in any runs.

Laurel had a big inning in their turn at the plate, though, as they brought in six runs off three walks, a double, and a trio of singles.

At the top of the sixth, Laurel was up 16-10 and the Reds had an opportunity to bring in some runs. They had a few nice hits from Glaser and Myrick, but were unable to advance any runners home before their turn at bat came to an end.

In their turn at the plate, the Dodgers scored early with a home-run that extended their lead to 17-10. Atrio of singles brought in another run, and a walk followed by another single advanced yet anotherrunner to add another point to the Dodgers scoreboard.

Finally, with a sacrifice fly out to left field, the Dodgers scored their final run, invoking the mercy rule with a 10-run lead to bring the game to a close.

Kristian Price started the game on the mound for the Reds. He went two innings, surrendering eight runs, six hits, and striking out three. John Cremer took the loss for Reds. He tossed one-third of an inning, allowing zero runs, one hit, and walking one. Also pitching some innings in the game were Legare and Guttenberg.

Laurel 28, Glasgow 4

The Reds played their second game against the Dodgers immediately following the disappointing mercy rule loss. The contest turned ugly in a hurry and Laurel recorded a 28-4 win against the Reds in four and-a-half innings.

While Laurel began bringing in runs early, Glasgow wasn't able to score until the third inning when they brought in just one run. Their most productive inning offensively was the fourth inning as they scored three runs on a walk by Cremer, a single by Fossum, and a stolen base.

On the mound, Wersal was credited with the loss. He tossed three innings, allowing 13 runs, 13 hits, and striking out two. Myrick, Cremer and Lipsyc also pitched during the game.

The Reds overall record sits at 8-16. Following a home game against Scobey on June 27, the Reds will host the Billings Blue Jays in a double header on Thursday, June 29.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019