The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913

By Georgie Kulczyk
The Courier 

Reds Compete in Lewistown, Go 2-5


Georgie Kulczyk/The Courier

Brett Glaser races for first base as the Redbirds of Lewistown scramble to make a play. The Reds were in Lewistown June 15-18 for the Harold Gjerde Memorial Tournament.

Tri-County Cardinals 4, Reds 9

The Glasgow Reds spent another week on the road as they competed in the Harold Gjerde Memorial Tournament in Lewistown. Eight teams participated in the tournament, which was held June 15-18.

The Reds prevailed in two of their five games, with wins over the Tri-County Cardinals and the Scobey Blues. The boys came up short against the Lewistown Redbirds, the Billings Angels and the Gallatin Valley Outlaws.

Glasgow started the tournament off with a win against the Cardinals Thursday afternoon. The boys took an early lead in the game, beginning with a steal of home by Bryce Legare in the bottom of the first inning. Cade Myrick earned a walk in his turn at the plate, then made it home when Brett Glaser followed up with a line-drive double to center field. A Cardinal error would bring Glaser home for the final run of the inning. Going into the second inning, the Reds were up 3-0.

Following another failed at-bat for Tri-County, the Reds tacked on another four runs to their side of the scoreboard. In his turn at the plate, John Cremer faced just two pitches before he singled out to left field to get on base. Kaden Fossum followed with a double out to right field, which put himself and Cremer in scoring positions. Legare sent another one to right field on the first pitch delivered to him, and the triple brought in both Cremer and Fossum to extend the score to 5-0.

Still in the second inning, Cade Myrick hit a single grounder to the short stop and earned an RBI when Legare made it home. Then, Kevin McDonald took one for the team when he was hit by a pitch and took his spot on first base.

With two outs on the scoreboard and two teammates on base, Korbin Cole had his turn at the plate. Following a strike and a foul ball, Cole stared down his third pitch and hit a fly ball single to center field. The hit earned Cole an RBI with Myrick scoring.

The Cardinals finally brought the inning to a close with a third-out catch by the right fielder.

Following two scoreless innings, the game entered the fifth inning with the Reds still leading 7-0. To start off the inning, the Cardinals were able to load the bases off an error, a single and a walk before Glasgow could record the first out.

With three still on base, the Cardinals capitalized on a line-drive double to score three runs and close in on the Reds. The streak was short-lived, however, as the Reds recorded two consecutive outs and sent Tri-County into the field.

The Cardinals stifled the Reds in their turn at the plate, shutting down three of four batters and allowing just one hit.

Glasgow returned the favor in the top of the sixth inning, denying any advancement for the Cardinals. With one player on base from an earned walk, and one out on the scoreboard, the Reds executed a double play to end Tri-County's offensive effort.

In what would be their last turn at the plate, the Reds extended their lead when they brought in two more runs.

Kaden Fossum reached first base on a Cardinal error, then advanced to second after a successful bunt to third base by Legare,

Tri-County recorded two consecutive outs before Glasgow could gain some footing. With Legare and Fossum on base, McDonald earned two RBIs with a line-drive double to center field.

With Fossum and Legare making it home, the score was set at 9-3. The Cardinals shut down the sixth inning with the final out, then readied themselves for their final turn at-bat. Despite getting several players on base, the Cardinals were only able to bring one run in before the Reds put an end to the game and claimed the 9-4 win.

Taylor Johnson earned the win on the mound for the Reds, pitching all seven innings. He allowed four runs, five hits, and struck out four.

Glasgow finished with 11 hits in the game, with Legare leading the way with three, followed by Cremer with two.

Reds 1, Lewistown Redbirds 12

In their second game of the tournament on Friday evening, the Reds faced the Lewistown Redbirds, and buckled to the Bird's offensive dominance. Although Glasgow claimed the lead when they scored the first run of the game, Lewistown quickly gained the upper hand and maintained the lead for the rest of the contest. Fossum singled on a ground ball to right field to get on base, then advanced to second off a sacrifice bunt by Legare. Fossum eventually made it to third base on a wild pitch and then to home off a sacrifice fly by Glaser.

The run would be the only one for the Reds as the Redbirds scored three runs in the bottom of the inning, followed by two runs in the second and seven more in the fourth.

Glasgow did record five hits in the contest, with Fossum, Myrick, Darrin Wersal, Cole and Glaser each getting one. Glaser had the only RBI of the game.

Head Coach Jack Sprague utilized three pitchers in the game, beginning with Kristian Price, who took the loss for the Reds. Price pitched three innings, surrendering five runs, six hits, and striking out one. Chase Guttenberg and Legare provided relief on the mound, finishing out the remaining 1.5 innings.

Reds 3, Gallatin Valley Outlaws 7

The Reds took on the Gallatin Valley Outlaws in their third game of the tournament on Saturday evening.

Glasgow started things off at the plate, but the boys were unable to bring in any runs. The Outlaws did not waste their turn at bat as they gained a firm upper hand by bringing in five runs.

Both teams hit a dry spell for several innings, failing to score. In the bottom of the sixth inning, Gallatin Valley stretched its lead to 7-0 before the Reds could end the inning.

Glasgow had one last opportunity to light up the scoreboard when they took their turn at the plate in the top of the seventh inning.

McDonald sparked a rally right away with a double to left, followed by a line-drive single by Wersal. With two on base, it was Alex Fransen's turn to take one for the team, earning his trip to first base after being hit by a pitch.

Noah Lipszyc hit a sacrifice fly to right field to bring in McDonald and Wersal, putting the first points on the board for the Reds.

Following a strikeout for Cremer and facing two outs, Fossum singled to the short stop and Fransen scored on the play for the Reds' third run, bringing the score to 7-3.

The rally failed, however, as the Outlaws recorded the final out of the game, handing the Reds their second loss. Darrin Wersal took the loss for Reds on the mound. He went five innings, surrendering five runs, ten hits, and striking out one. McDonald pitched one inning

Cremer, Cole, Fossum, Wersal, Fransen, McDonald, and Myrick each managed one hit. Fossum made the most plays with six.

Reds 22, Scobey Blues 4

Sunday morning, the Reds faced the Scobey Blues and ran away with the game. Fransen pitched all five innings for the Reds, allowing four runs, six hits, and striking out three. Glasgow took the lead in the first inning when Glaser hit a double to bring Myrick in to score, and dominated for the entire game. The Blues did manage to fight back a bit and scored four runs to Glasgow's 22.

The Reds had a big second inning, scoring nine runs, driven by a walk by Glaser, a walk by McDonald, a walk by Cole, a walk by Johnson, a single by Lipszyc, and a double by Fossum.

In the third inning, Glasgow tacked on another two runs on a string of singles. The Blues were finally able to answer the Reds' offense with two runs in their turn at the plate, bringing the score to 13-2.

In the fourth inning, Glasgow scored four more runs off another string of singles, then a double by Lipszyc.

In their turn at the plate, Scobey was able to score one run before the end of the inning. Following a number of walks that eventually loaded the bases, the Blues brought one run in off a ground ball to short stop Myrick. The inning came to an end with a catch at first base by Johnson.

Heading into the fifth and final inning, the score sat at 17-3. The Reds showed no mercy as they added another five runs to their score before handing the inning off to Scobey.

Glasgow's first run was the result of a single, an error, a hit by pitch and a walk, followed by two more walks that brought two more runners. The fourth and fifth runs were the result of two steals of home by McDonald and Cole.

Facing a nineteen-run deficit, the Blues stepped up to the plate for their final turn at bat. Their first batter was gifted a walk by Fransen. Following two consecutive outs for the Reds, Scobey's Martin Farver hit a triple to bring in the runner on first.

It would be the last run for the Blues, however, as Glasgow shut down the inning and the game on the next play.

The Reds had 15 hits in the game. Guttenberg, Glaser, Johnson, Myrick, McDonald, and Lipszyc each collected multiple hits for Reds. Johnson led Reds with four runs batted in, and he went 2-for-3 on the day.

Billings Angels 6, Reds 4

In their final game of the weekend, the Reds faced the Billings Angels on Sunday afternoon. Although it was a good match-up, the Reds fell short of a victory.

The Angels took the lead early with two runs in the first inning and four more in the second. Glasgow was able to answer in their turn at the plate in the second inning when Guttenberg singled to bring Cole in, who had been walked to get on base. At the top of the third inning, Billings led 6-1.

The score remained unchanged for Billings for the rest of the game. Glasgow, however, added to their score little by little.

In the fifth, after getting on base off a walk, Myrick scored on a wild pitch, followed by Glaser, who scored off a sacrifice fly by McDonald.

Another sacrifice fly by Legare brought in the Reds' fourth and final run of the game. Glasgow had one more opportunity at the plate, but the Angel shut them down effectively and denied any more runs.

Glaser took the loss on the mound for the Reds.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021