The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913

By Georgie Kulczyk
The Courier 

Scotties Finish Season With Bookend Loss to Colstrip


Georgie Kulczyk / The Courier

Nashua senior Nolan Viste dives on the ball after it bounced off a Colt receiver during the playoff game held Oct. 29 while Trent Herbert, #12, readies himself to jump in with him.

The 2016 Scotties played their final game on Scottie Field Oct. 29. After earning the title of conference champs with a win against Malta, the boys were ready for a rematch against the Colstrip Colts.

The Scotties started their season with a 12-7 loss to Colstrip on Aug. 27. Despite the home-field advantage and a monumental team effort, the Scotties were unable to surpass the Colts for a second time.

The Scotties were a whole different team from the one that played in Colstrip at the start of the season. The boys' grit was undeniable as several of them played through illness and injuries to the bitter end. Coach Greg Liebelt explained that although football is such a physical, grinding sport, he is amazed by the focus of the Scotties. "They fight so hard to compete," he said, "and we finished strong."

The entire contest was a roller coaster of turnovers and game-changing plays, but defensively the Scotties could not contain the strong, physical Colts.

In the first quarter, Luke Breigenzer was able to deny a drive by the Colts when he intercepted the ball near the Scottie end zone. The Scotties couldn't capitalize on the turnover, however, and the Colts eventually scored with a short touchdown run. The following extra point attempt failed and the quarter came to an end with Colstrip on top 6-0.

Less than three minutes into the second quarter, the Scotties lit it up with a sack and a fumble recovery, followed by a 16-yard touchdown reception by Trent Herbert from Darrin Wersal. Cache Younkin added the extra point. The Colts answered with a 41-yard touchdown run about halfway through the quarter. Their attempt at an extra point again was no good.

The Scotties dug in before the end of the half to score another touchdown with a 17-yard reception by Breigenzer off Wersal, and Younkin tacked on the extra point. A fourth-down field goal attempt by Younkin following a Scottie drive was unsuccessful, but the Scotties finished the half on top 14-12.

When Colstrip returned to the field after the break, they displayed some grit and scored two consecutive touchdowns and a successful two-point run, bringing the score to 26-14 in favor of the Colts.

The Scotties answered with a short touchdown run by Benji Phillips and an extra point by Younkin. With just minutes left in the third quarter, the Scotties' attempt at an onside kick was recovered by the Colts and resulted in another touchdown for the opponent, but their attempt at a two-point conversion was unsuccessful.

Colstrip extended their lead even further with a 62-yard fumble return and a two-point conversion, bringing the score to 40-27 and finishing the third quarter.

The Scotties closed the gap early in the fourth quarter with a 13-yard touchdown reception by Breigenzer, although Colstrip was able to convert on a fourth down with a fake punt, followed by a long drive into the end zone. Facing an uphill battle and down by two possessions, the Scotties mustered up the energy to drive to the Colts' end zone, getting close enough for Wersal to take it in for a short touchdown. Younkin missed the kick, and the score remained 46-40 in favor of Colstrip.

It was do or die for Glasgow, with less than three minutes left in the game. An attempt at an onside kick by the Scotties was successful and a tie game was within their grasp. Unfortunately, the Colts intercepted a pass and denied the Scottie offense to win the game 46-40.

Wersal was 26 of 43 with 264 yards. Phillips had 12 carries for 48 yards and Breigenzer had 10 receptions with 134 yards. Colstrip finished the game with 393 rushing yards.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019