Baylor, 1910.

 

Courtesy of Valley County Historical Society / For The Courier

This photo is of H.O.M. Johnstone in 1910. It was taken in the Baylor community. The community was named after a settler named Clarence "Bill" Baylor. He trailed cattle up from Texas and worked for the McCallister horse ranch in 1898. He later took a homestead and raised horse, later serving as a Valley County Commissioner. The Baylor community was located between Opheim and Glasgow. Three years of drought, the railroad passing by and fires that destroyed buildings caused the town to die off. When the dam project began some of the few families left moved to Fort Peck.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 10/16/2018 17:43