Residents at Roosevelt Hotel Relocated
On Feb. 10, the Glasgow Police Department responded to a complaint from a resident at the Roosevelt Hotel regarding water coming in from the ceiling. Responding Officer Trent Gamas observed water leaking from the ceiling on the third floor and draining into the basement. Water was also collecting in electrical fixtures, and was later discovered in various light fixtures.
Officer Gamas contacted Glasgow’s Fire Chief Brandon Brunelle to further examine the situation, and Public Works Director Robert Kompel also arrived. Bare wires were found throughout the building, as well as a circuit breaker which had been modified in ways that could be hazardous. Officer Gamas also observed in some unoccupied rooms, the bathroom toilets were filled with feces and there were also animal feces throughout the building. In the wake of the discoveries made, Rick Seiler of the Valley County Department of Emergency Services, Glasgow Mayor Becky Erickson, and County Commissioner Paul Tweten were also alerted to the situation and arrived at the scene. Resulting actions from city officials included the revocation of the site’s occupancy permit, allowing for the removal of residents.
A total of 15 residents were removed from the premises. At press time, eight individuals remained temporarily relocated at the Star Lodge in Glasgow, thanks to the assistance of community members, especially members of the Glasgow Evangelical Church.
In recent days, the GPD has been conducting follow-up interviews with former residents of the hotel, and are considering opening a criminal investigation into the matter.
Anyone interested in offering assistance or resources to help with relocation for the affected residents should contact Mayor Erickson at 228-2476.