The Glasgow Courier - Serving Proudly As The Voice Of Valley County Since 1913


85 Years Ago: Paddle Wheel Ferry Worked Hard On The Missouri River at Lismas


Courtesy of Valley County Historical Society / For The Courier

The old paddle wheel ferry at Lismas goes down the Missouri River on July 2, 1929. The first ferry at Lismas was managed by a cattleman, William Kirkland, in 1903. The name Lismas came from the last name of partners Horace Gamas and Julius Listoe, who took over the business. Gamas ended up buying out the business and ran it until 1915. Boats continued to use the point along the river over the next few decades.


Reader Comments

Rendered 03/05/2015 13:43