Phillip Olinger brought his family to Valley County in April 1910. They settled 13 miles northeast of Glasgow. Since there was no well, water had to be hauled in a barrel from a spring not far from the house. The barrel of water for household uses stood just a few feet from the stove, yet would freeze when the harsh winter blew cold. They eventually moved to town.