April 23, 2014 | Volume 101 / Number 17

Avondale Thrived Before 1935

This is an Avondale celebration community picnic on the Porcupine. Homesteaders came to the small community in 1910. The town of Avondale was established in 1915. It had a general store, post office, gas station, blacksmith, cafe, hotel and patriotic school. Due to the location, far from the railroad, and the drought and Depression, the community disappeared around 1935.

Reader Comments

(0)